- You have a reputation of being alive but you are dead. Rev.3:1
- I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God. Rev.3:2
- Wake up Rev.3:2
- Strengthen what remains and is about to die. Rev.3:2
- Remember what you have received and heard; obey it and repent. Rev.3:3; 11Thes.2:15
- If you don’t repent, I will come like a thief and you will not know what time I will come to you. Rev.3:3
- The few in Sardis who have not soiled their garments will walk with me dressed in white. I will never blot out his name from the book of life, but will acknowledge him before God and the angels. Rev.3:4-5
This church was visible, modern and popular. It had many outreach programs to help the disadvantaged. It had a charismatic pastor who could move the congregants with his preaching. The worship leaders and the music were just the right thing to pull the crowds. They operated in the spirit with the pastor’s wife as prophetess. For them , the glory of God was present every time they met.
Sadly this was all a sham. The word of God was not being preached or adhered to. Instead, another gospel was being preached and another Jesus was the object of their adoration. The church was only interested in money. The pastor’s intent was that the congregation follow his vision to build an empire for himself. The pastor had changed the vision that Christ gave the church. That vision was for the church to carry the gospel to all the nations. The majority was not converted; they were just attracted to the music and the charisma of the pastor.
Jesus has no commendation for this church. The only redeeming factor present here it that there are a few who have steadfastly remained true to God. God will reward them
Jesus’ message to the church is to wake up, repent and return to the faith once delivered to the saints.